Friday, August 29, 2008

First side effects

The first chemo treatment seemed to pass ok. Tim started experiencing some diahhrea on Wednesday. Since he had to go in that day to have his "take home" bag removed, he thought he would ask about it then. He explained that he was taking Imodium and it wasn't really plugging him up - so they indicated they would "call-in" something stronger.
We left - I had some shopping to do - and we got home about 4. After unloading the car and resting a bit - I decided I should go into the pharmacy to pick up his "corks". I got there about 10 minutes till 5 and there was a long line at the drug counter, so I walked around the store a bit.
I went back to the pharmacy counter about 5 after 5.......can you see this one coming....? They had not received anything from the doctor's office.....and of course the office was closed....it was after 5! I called the office - and of course got the answering system - they took my info and said if I hadn't heard from the doctor in 20 minutes to call them back. I grabbed a chair and sat for 30 minutes. I gave up and decided that when I got home, Tim could just take a handful of Imodium and probably be ok till the next day when we could try again. I had ridden my scooter to the store.....and on the way home, I could hear my phone ringing in my pocket! It was the doctor (on call) finally calling back. I sat on the side of the road - trying to explain the situation....to which he finally exclaimed that a perscription had already been called in earlier that day.......Great! but the pharmacy didn't get it. So, he pushed it again (they all use computers to order drugs rather than calling) and said to go back and if they didn't have it to call him back........(how do you call a doctor on call back?) OK, so I ride back to the pharmacy - go in and ask.....and NOTHING! I called the number back the doctor had used....nothing! I left a message......nothing! I eventually sent a text message.....nothing! After another 30 or so minutes I decided to call the answering service back. They put me on hold......for another 20 minutes.....and finally the doctor answered! I told him to "hang on a sec" and handed the phone to the pharmacist! Phew! After 2 hours, I finally had a nice little bottle of the tiniest pills you have ever seen. I got home and they plugged Tim up!!!!
Starting on Thursday morning, Tim sent me a message that his tummy was upset. Now, I was on the ball for this one! I had him call into the doctor and ask for the nausea pill to be called into the pharmacy. Then, about an hour later I had Tim call the pharmacy to see if they had received the "new" request. Boy, this was working great!! Anyway, the pharmacy got it, I picked it up, Tim took it - and we all felt much better!
The next chemo treatment is set for Wednesday, Sept 3......we'll see how "slick" that one goes!!!

No comments: