Sunday, March 8, 2009

On the road to Cleveland!

As we were leaving the oncologists office, I asked to use the phone and called the cardiologist's office. I had to re-tell the nurse the long story and to get the message to the doctor that we wanted to go to Cleveland. He had said that if that was our decision, he would call them and see what he could arrange. About 15 minutes later, on the way home, I had a phone call from the surgeon's nurse in Cleveland. She said she had a message that we wanted to come back to Cleveland and needed more information. I told her what I knew and preferred and she indicated she needed to have the surgeon call the cardiologist, but we were welcome to come! By the time we got home - another 20 minutes - the local cardiologist was on the phone - and wanted me to get Tim in the car as soon as possible and go to Cleveland - he has talked with them and Cleveland was waiting. I told him I would do it - but I was in such shock - I had to rest - I could not make a 7 to 9 hour drive at that moment - could I get up early and be in Cleveland sometime the next day. He was not happy with that - but said to do what I could and get there as soon as I could. I had called insurance on the way home about a transport - ambulance or helicopter - but they would only take him the to nearest facility - which would be Lafayette. If we wanted transport to Cleveland, it would be at our expense. While I was on the phone with the cardiologist - my phone beeped with another incoming call..... and message. Once he hung up, I listed to the message from the nurse in Cleveland to call her ASAP. I did - she said the surgeon was standing there and wanted to talk with me. She handed him the phone - and he said he had several conversations with the local doctors and he wanted us to come as soon as possible. (It's difficult to get into Cleveland). He said he as willing to help us get there any way he could. He would set up a transport - but understood about the insurance. He said to leave as soon as we were able and if I had any problems ANYWHERE to call him. I said, ok - call the office? - and he said NO, Call me! I will give you my personal cell phone number and you call ME - and I will "Fix" any problems you are having on your journey and make anything I needed " to happen". He said no much happened on the weekends - but he would be looking for us. He said he had already notified Admitting and he would contact ER so no matter where or when we showed up, they would be aware of our arrival. I thanked him and we set off working to depart. I needed to get some laundry done, needed to rest - and set up with Matt to meet him in Goshen - and he would do the final 4 hour drive for me. I was relaxing and feeling better - and we got clothes and the car packed for the journey! We were on the road about 7pm and were in Goshen about 10pm. We meet up with Matt at his in-laws and rested and relaxed a bit more. We decided that the hospital wouldn't be "open" except for the ER and our arrival wouldn't make a lot of difference whether it was at 3am or 6 am. We laid down for a couple of hours and we were on our way about 1:45 am. We pulled up to the Cleveland Clinic about 6:15 and asked where to find Admitting. When we were here last - it was all under construction - and it is now done and very new and pretty. Tim and I went inside and found Admitting - it was closed - but they have a sign to call. As I was reading the sign and about to pick up the phone, a hospitality man walked by - turned around and asked our name. When I said, "Hunley", he said, "Oh!! We have been looking and waiting on your arrival! We are so glad you are here! We were told you would be coming in about 11pm and I've worried all night that something happened! I've been to your room several times just incase you came in and I missed you. Your room is on the 7th floor and it's ready and I will wheel you right up!" I don't think I have ever had a hospital aware of an arrival and so ready for admission! They had even done most of the admitting paperwork and we only needed to show an insurance card and Tim's ID. We were brought to the room and I think I have the story brought up to date!

No comments: