Sunday, March 8, 2009

Results of the tests!

Tim and I had a wonderful lunch at our favorite "old" people's restaurant - Denny's! We chatted about the tests and wondered what we would find out. We were mos relieved about the Echo since the girl didn't seem worried through the test.
Out appointment at the oncologists was set for 1:30. We had lunch, I quickly stopped at a store - and we were just in time for out appointment - signed in about 1:28. Phew!! While we were in the waiting room waiting to be called back......my phone rang. I figured it was one of the boys asking about how the day was going - but the voice on the other end was in Russian or ??? and I knew it was the cardiologist. My heart skipped a beat and I handed the phone to Tim so they could discuss the echo. I caught bits and pieces of "what?" "the valve has to be replaced?" (I punched Tim and said - WHAT VAVLE?) The mytral valve had some minor backwash a few years ago.....but not enough to be worried about at that time - so I thought it was the mytral. Tim looked at me between the Russian words and said "Aortic". I couldn't believe my ears, I think my heart stopped and I thought I was going to faint. I couldn't see Tim at that point so I'm not sure if he had also fainted or evaporated. I did hear Tim mumble "something about Cleveland". He hung up the phone and said we needed to decide if we were going to go back to the hospital in Lafayette and check in or call the cardiologist to pave the road for Ohio. I cannot describe the numbness, how words and speech start sounding really funny and how nothing makes sense at that point. My head hurt beyond description - and a nurse was standing there saying it was time for our appointment. "What appointment?"
Oh, yeah - we were at the oncologists to find out about the CT Scan. I think everyone within the clinic was now aware of the conversation with the cardiologists..... the nurse took us back to the appointment room. Tim said we needed to get the name of the surgeon in Cleveland - that the cardiologist wanted to call him. I couldn't remember my name at that point - let alone remember who Tim was..... I said we would have to go home and I could look back in our records. The nurse was overly helpful and said she could look in the files there if that would help, but since the surgery wasn't done in Lafayette - she didn't think much would be there. As the oxygen returned to my head - we had carried back the surgeon results and they had been scanned into the computer system. She looked and looked and finally she found the file and the name for us! The oncologist was ready to come in - and quickly caught up on what we were just learning. Due to the leakage of the valve, Tim is a walking time bomb, and it could come loose at any time - and then our (my) decision would only be funeral arrangements. The doctors there preferred for Tim to immediately go to the local hospital - and he kept murmuring Cleveland. The oncologist very calmly asked Tim what and why - and said - well, it's obvious - go get in your car and GO to Cleveland. In the midst of all the confusion - I looked at him and asked what the CT showed. He said nothing! Absolutely nothing! Tim was cancer free - the the top half of his body! At last some good news!

No comments: